Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Taming of the Shrew

Something bizarre happened this morning.

I, for most of my life, have hated waking up with an undeniable fervor. Ask my mother. I, historically, have NOT been a morning person. Ask my old man also. He used to make it a point to avoid engaging me in conversation before my second cup of coffee. I am grumpy and generally disagreeable. I stumble to the kitchen, bleary eyed and cursing, running into dogs, hair disheveled, pajamas akimbo, to pour a cup of steaming hot nectar of the gods. And not until I've sated the grump-monster within am I capable of anything resembling a decent conversation. This is not an exaggeration. This is an accurate portrayal of my morning alter ego.

(Disclaimer)Now, understand, morning as a time of day, I've always rather enjoyed. But, I've always preferred to enjoy it alone. I like to sit outside and drink coffee alone; smoke my morning cigarette alone. Quietly. I don't have a problem with morning. I have a problem with waking up and talking to people. I don't like to be bothered when I'm gathering my wits and shaking the sleep from my brain.

I say all that so that when I tell you what I did this morning, you will all know that there must have been some sort of planetary realignment, shift in the magnetic forces of the Earth, alien invasion, solar flare while I slept. SOMETHING happened. I woke up and...*drumroll* made breakfast for my old man and actually sat down at the table and had a pleasant conversation. I know!! It was all very surreal. Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't make eggs benedict or anything. I cut up a kiwi and put it on a plate. No great shakes to some of you, but for me? Groundbreaking. Tomorrow, we're going to move up to toast and jelly. Who knows, maybe eggs benedict is in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment